Sunday, January 10, 2010

Greetings from Mackinac Island

This will be my first time participating in the Bead Journal Project and it's taken much time and thought to decide what direction I wanted to take with my work, but I think I've narrowed it down finally.

I started beading many years ago, due to my interest in historic costuming - I wanted all the trims and accessories to complement my outfits, which meant teaching myself to create them. In recent years, my work has taken a different direction, much more modern and not necessarily costuming related.

I want to go back and retrieve that aspect of my work - taking the traditional techniques and turning them on their head to create a mix of old and new.

An added challenge for me will be availability of materials, as we are currently ice bound and will be for the next few months - I'll be working out of my stash.

I have a blog, http://www.mackin-art.blogspot.com , there's examples of my bead work, costuming pursuits and many images of my Island surroundings.

Kelly, Mackin-Art

1 comment:

The bad Liz said...

Nice to see another Michiganian/Michigander in the project.

Take care - Liz (far, far south of you by Detroit)